About

Who, what, where and most importantly why
admin
Site Admin

About

Post by admin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Preface: I love SugarCRM CE and want to sincerely thank the original founders/coders and everyone who put it countless hours of hard labor into this project.

Why: Because while working with SuiteCRM (which is the fork of Sugar) I kept getting stuck on some trivial issues and majority of the time it's forums which helped me out. So this is my way of repaying the community. I'm not making any money (no ads here) and I cover the hosting/domain fees out of my own pocket.

Genesis:
The original forum and project was all about open source and "the community".

The "community" aspect of Sugar was touted from day one and repeated in books and publications.

Then "stuff happened" and it became "ever so slightly" less community oriented.

And thus the great info purge à la "Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution" began. This forum went out the window, blog deleted and Community Edition was being quickly swept under the rug.

But......

The question of to whom the forum content belongs is an important one. The forum admins or the forum posters? Careful examination of the old https://web.archive.org/web/20140512143 ... om/faq.php shows no "term of service" and the only copyright notice is the standard "vBulletin" one (which is the forum application makers)

While I'm not saying that this is some kind of ironclad legal proof that we can restore the deleted content I do have to point out that it's unclear to whom the content belonged to in the first place. Personally I'd lean more towards the actual content writers.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/who-owns-t ... nsing/4261

Who: Dan Bloom. My email is wikicrmforum at gmail if you want to discuss something.

What: This is a free resource for those that are interested in learning more about an amazing open source project called SugarCRM CE. This is a carefully restored version which was purged.

Special care was put into restoring all of the images, code snippet examples and attachments (example PHP code and other). The original forum was vbulletin based so a lot of time went into migrating into phpBB (which is also an open-source project so it's a great fit)

Where: West Coast. Possibly BC Canada (eh?)